We are mid way through May 2017 and I have just finished making my 4th pair of socks.
I decided to use a variety of yarns from DK to 3 ply. I had used double knit for the first pair of socks, and since my Mum had given me a huge stash of yarn she would not be using I decided to use Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo, and the pattern I used was “Gentleman’s Matrimony Celebratory Socks” by Sockbug. Although I liked the pattern, and the yarn was really nice to work with but, once worn they seem to become baggy and so far, not tighten up.
My next pair was with Patons UK Fab DK Solids, self pattening yarn, using a pattern called “Nascar Socks” by Laurie Sundstrom, however, I did alter the pattern, and rather than have a continuous plain knit, I did several squares in purl, just to add contrast.
Next step was to go to proper sock yarn, so, after a trip to Amsterdam, and a visit to Stephen & Penelope’s shop I bought among other yarns a lovely Malabrigo Yarn called Arroyo, and used a pattern called “Bespoke Vanilla Socks (Sport)” by Melissa Lund. I also used for the cuffs, heal and toes Rowan Donegal Lambswool which I found in Oxfam for 50p a skein. Both beautiful yarns to work with.
My final pair so far this year, I used the same pattern as above, but this time used Cascade Heritage 150 Yarns and the cuff, heal and toes in MillaMia Naturally Soft Merino.