After yesterdays debacle I have now made a temporary repair using 30a cable connectors and a 40a box to surround the connection block. Looks ugly, but it is only a temporary repair. I had to remove more plaster in order to be able to strip the wires for the connection block, and now understand why Bob the nob had not buried it properly. As the house was built in the late 1800’s there are supporting walls and the remaining walls are “lath and plaster”, so no modern day stud walls just Victorian engineering.
I did find some conduit that the cables are in, but it is just plastic, and only covers part of the cable. I think I may have to re-wire from the upstairs sockets to the kitchen ones in order to keep it clean and ensure it is done correctly, however, I do not relish having to replaster the whole wall, so fingers crossed Phil will have a solution that is a little easier on both my pocket and my time. Getting quite fed up with having to rebuild things. The only thing I can be positive about is that I have the ability to do nearly all the repairs etc. myself.